Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Dirt Road Flower Finds

24thDirtRoad024

The dirt road pictured above is in my neighborhood. It isn’t difficult to envision a horse and buggy coming along, wooden wheels a-whirring and harnesses jingling, with dust flying from hooves pounding the dirt.

I wonder if buggy drivers ever pulled the reigns and hollered “WHOA, Nelly” because of a wildflower sighting? Perhaps the sunbonneted female occupants of the rig would point and exclaim, “Oh, let’s stop……please, pretty please!”

Well, a buggy was not my conveyance last Sunday, and no bonnet adorned my head, but I pressed my vehicle’s brake pedal.….WHOA…..when wildflowers caught my eye alongside this dirt road.

Initially, this very noticeable patch of Ragwort---senecio plattensis, a member of the Aster family---brought me to a halt.

23rdDirtRoad014

“Squaw Weed” is another name for this plant, which reportedly was used by Native American women for female health matters. Early white settlers used Ragwort in folk remedies, even though it reportedly is poisonous to humans and livestock. Yikes……but it surely is a bright and showy spring wildflower, regardless.

23rdDirtRoad001 (2) Next we have Starry False Solomon’s Seal. It certainly looks like a real plant, though. Its stem and leafing look similar to true Solomon’s Seal; though the flowers are not alike at all. Evidently, true Solomon’s Seal got its name from early settlers who noticed a Star of David design left when the stem is broken off at the root. I’ll have to check that out sometime. I have noticed a tiny Star of David design up inside the dangling flowers of true Solomon’s Seal.

24thDirtRoad028

Meadow Anenome……used by native peoples for treating wounds.

24thDirtRoad038

The remaining photos in this post are of flowers I had never seen before. They’ve most likely been growing here along this dirt road for many, many years.

This first one is Yellow Star Grass. It looks like grass with a 3/4” wide yellow flower attached at the top……what a pleasant surprise to find this! When I was searching for Star Grass online I stumbled upon a nice photo taken by a professional nature photographer in my area.

23rdDirtRoad008 (2)

Growing near the Star Grass was another tiny flower which again looked like grass topped by dainty flower blossom. This one, I believe, is a type of Blue-Eyed Grass. What a lovely name, though they are actually a member of the Iris family. My Runkel & Roosa flower book states: Although called Blue-Eyed Grass, the color can vary from white to pale blue to darker blue. These seemed to have a very pale blue tone.

23rdDirtRoad019 (2)

There were a few patches which looked truly white……

23rdDirtRoad018Here’s another tiny yellow flower that I almost overlooked, thinking it was Star Grass. I’m not sure what it is……its not in any of my wildflower books. It sort of resembles a Cinquefoil, which have five-petaled blossoms…..but this one has six. Whatever its name may be, its a darling little flower, that’s for sure.

24thDirtRoad041

In these final two flower photos, we have Dewberry…..at least I think that’s what it might be.

24thDirtRoad045 Sorry……I don’t have a macro lens…..

24thDirtRoad030 (2) One end of the mile-long dirt road was rather rutty. Local yokels who are thus inclined sometimes use this tired old dirt road for “mudding”. My husband’s nephew took a couple of our kids along for such a ride here several years ago……his pickup was coated with mud when they returned. Great fun, yeah!

24thDirtRoad004

*

Have a great day!

*

8 comments:

The Old Gray Egg said...

That was a wonderful Natural History walk. You are an informative tour guide. I would like a virtual walk with you all summer as the flowers come and go.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that dirt road looks like it goes on forever and ever into the horizon... Nice shot!

DI
The Blue Ridge Gal

Caution/Lisa said...

If it weren't for you, I would not only fail to stop, but I wouldn't even SEE those flowers. How did I ever get so fortunate as to find your blog ??

Leenie said...

Sosme of those flowers looked familiar. I know I have seen BLUE blue-eyed grass. I have a photo of a flower I can't identify using my little paper-back book. Maybe I'll post it and see if you and the rest of bloggywood might recognize it. I lived on a dirt road until I left home. When I went back a few years ago the pavement had finally reached the old farm. Fun post!

Egghead said...

Thanks for yet another great tour around your neck of the woods, er fields. We have a few places that locals, mostly kids, four wheel and come out looking like a big mudball. I would hate to have to clean those trucks off.

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Old Gray Egg,

Welcome! And, thank you for reading and commenting. Feel free to join me on a walk anytime. Hopefully, there will be plenty of flowers to blog about during the summer season.

*******

Hi, Blue Ridge Gal,

I don't know why this road was never graded and graveled, but am glad it is the way it is.

********

Hi, Caution,

Oh, you are too kind. Seriously, I need to notice things like these flowers in order to keep a grip on sanity.

********

Hi, Leenie,

Glad to hear you've seen the Blue-Eyed Grass....I think its just lovely. Do post your mystery flower photo.

********

Hi, Egghead,

No kidding....they must think the mess is worth it, though.

Thanks for stopping by.

Trish said...

Wow...that was a great lesson AND walk. Beautiful and say...I would have loved to play in those fields when I was younger...such a nice tour today...thanks for sharing.

DesertHen said...

Lovely flower photos! This past Tuesday, I had to travel with my boss to our 4-H Cabin which is located on a US Forestry lease in the National Forest that is roughly 45 miles from our town. As we climed the roads (switch back style), I noticed all kinds of wild flowers in bloom. I wanted so badly to stop and take photos, but didn't think the boss would find that acceptable. I have to go back to the cabin in a week and this time I will go with my camera in hand, drive my own SUV and stop to take those photos! =)

Thanks for sharing your country dirt road and all of your lovely wild flowers!