Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Bloomin’ Milkweed

27th 056 (2)

Well, its now the time of summer when milkweeds begin to bloom. “Dad-burned, bloomin’ weeds, anyway!”, some folks might say. Despite that, these Common Milkweeds (asclepias syriaca) are interesting plants to observe, not only in summer, but also in the fall. Milkweeds are popular with insects---the Wikipedia article mentions Monarch butterflies, Milkweed Beetle and Large Milkweed Bug, among others. Wouldn’t that be something to be a plant and have bugs and beetles named after you!! In the next photo, the Milkweed blossom is inundated with what looks to me like a type of lightning bug, though I could be wrong about that. 'Tis the season for their appearance, too.

27th 049 (2)

*

Yesterday was an absolutely gorgeous day, weatherwise. Coolish breezes from the north continued to bless us with refreshment. In the morning, I spent time crawling around pulling the sorrel, quack grass, pigweed, lamb’s quarters, and catnip from the flower beds I whined about in Sunday’s post. Usually, I allow most of the catnip to grow because the cats love it. They joyfully rolled around on the catnip sprigs I pulled up yesterday.

*

Afterwards, I went into the house to do some bookwork---pay bills, mostly. Wish I could have joyfully stomped them into the ground! Recently, we received our annual reward letter from our health insurance carrier……every July they “reward” us by adding $100 to our monthly premium. Isn’t that considerate of them? Especially since we are very healthy and hardly ever have claims. Not that it matters anymore…..as it is, our health insurance is essentially worthless to us unless we would---God forbid---be diagnosed with a serious illness or suffer a major injury. God forbid, please, on both counts. Because the premiums have risen so markedly the last several years, we’ve had to raise our deductible to a high level and go to a 50/50 co-pay situation.

As self-employed people, we must purchase our own health insurance, of course, and believe me……there are NO good deals out there. Does anyone know…..are health insurance companies accountable to anyone? They seem out-of-control to me. Do our government leaders ever talk about reining in insurance companies? Or is the insurance industry just too big to touch? I wouldn’t doubt it. I can envision the insurance execs leaning back in their leather desk chairs, perusing cruise and resort brochures, maybe yacht catalogs, too, then beeping the secretary and saying, “Hey…..its time for our premium increase, isn’t it? Type up the form letter and send it out to our customers. Heehee.”

I wish some of you readers from Canada would weigh in on how your healthcare system operates up there. Do you pay health insurance premiums each month? Are you free to choose your own doctor, hospital, etc.? Do you get the care you need right away? What about mental health services?

Not that I expect to be hospitalized for a mental illness again, but it did happen to me once, unexpectedly, three years ago. Lo, and behold…..our insurance company had stopped covering mental health services a few years before that. How nice. I’m still slowing paying those bills off. My breakdown occurred outside of our home area and I was conveyed back to our local hospital by ambulance…..haha……the bill for that 2-hour excursion with me strapped tight to a gurney was $1500......$750/hour! (It would probably cost $1000/hour now!) Then add in the cost of my five days in the hospital AND the psychiatrist fees. We psych unit patients would sit lined up in the hall each morning, waiting our turn to meet with the psychiatrist who visited the unit daily. Mostly, she sat there and clanked metal clipboard charts opened and closed, scribbling here and there. When it was my turn, she would simply ask, "How are you today?" Finally, on the fifth day, she phoned my husband while I sat there, to ask him if it was ok if I went home. I recall she told him it would be ok for me to drive, but not to anyplace like Chicago. Sheesh. Each one of those five-minute-or-less sessions with her cost $100!! Its a racket, in my opinion. What is the matter with our health care system that such exorbitant fees are allowed?! Things are really out of whack. The health care industry needs treatment, big time......it needs bundled onto a gurney, thrown into an ambulance, and hauled off to the hospital.

Having the fanciest digs and making the most bucks possible seems to be what healthcare is about nowadays. Hospitals in our area keep trying to outdo each other by spending and spending on new additions and remodelings. Politicians at all levels---national, state, local---are mainly concerned about the next election, thus you have a situation where nothing ever gets fixed.

I can't make heads or tails of what the currently-proposed health care overhaul consists of and if it will even help self-employed people who are struggling to pay high premiums. Government leaders are most concerned about people who fall into the "uninsured" category, and rightly so, of course, but I hope they will also figure out a way to provide relief for self-employed folks and everyone else who struggles to pay very costly health insurance premiums.

*

In the meantime, I attempt to "insure" relatively good health by: not smoking, not drinking, getting enough sleep (my favorite), walking, eating plenty of fruits and veggies and dark chocolate (another favorite).

*

Believe it or not, I'm actually in a very good mood today! The above rant just sort of blossomed its way into existence. Blame it on the bloomin' milkweeds (and, the arrival of the health insurance letter).

*

12 comments:

Country Girl said...

Morning, Jeannelle! Today's bloodwork day for my husband so we've been there and back. I agree with you that the health insurance in this country is out of control. Since my husband lost his job and has been on disability, we've had to pay out of pocket for ours at 100%. I pay $1250 per month for insurance that's not as good as what we had before. I could tell you stories but it would make me angry.
On a lighter note, I LOVE LOVE LOVE your milkweed photos! I know it's a weed, but it's an important one, especially for butterflies!
Have a beautiful day. Looks like another stunner here in Maryland.

Anonymous said...

The milkweed is very photogenic when it bloom! I got several pics of it last summer!
I hear your frustrations about the health insurance issue. When I lived on the ranch with my ex husband, we could not afford health insurance. We were fortunate and never had an major medical expenses while we were married. Now, I am thankful that I have a job that includes the benefit of health insurance and since I work at a medical facility, I receive a huge discount for any work done at the facility. I feel blessed!

Sempringham said...

Jeannelle,

Another great post!

Your Congressman, Bruce Braley, is on the Health Subcommittee of the Energy and Commerce Committee, which has a big role in the health insurance debates going on right now. He is very knowledgeable about the issues, and his web site is full of information about the things being considered.

I'm sure he'd be very interested to hear your concerns. You can even email him.

There is no question about it: the way health insurance is set up right now, farmers and other self-employed people are at a huge disadvantage.

Sempringham

Caution/Lisa said...

The system is a mess, and I really don't want to hear another politician talking about free enterprise in relation to health care. We have health insurance through an employer, but even so, we are astounded at our medical bills. We now typically opt to wait through most injuries and illnesses and hope things resolve with time. I cannot imagine the pressure of an annual premium. There simply has to be a better way.

Anonymous said...

I used to work in the health insurance industry and could tell you a few stories about how crooked they are. The people at the top are quite ruthless and uncaring. I couldn't stand working for them and began telling a few insureds what was really happening and why their claims were not being paid. It really turned my stomach to work there.

DI
The Blue Ridge Gal

Pat - Arkansas said...

My gardening daughter would love to have some of your milkweed. She searches the wilds of Arkansas for these plants which, somehow, end up in her garden in the hopes of attracting Monarch butterflies. Lovely photos.

Larry Steve Crain said...

Excellent writing, Jeannelle

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Country Girl,

Thank you for your thoughtful comment. It sounds like you've had plenty of frustrations with health insurance. You and your husband do have a serious illness to deal with....something that's never happened to me or my family and I am very grateful for that. God's blessings to you both each day!

I'm glad you liked the milkweed scenes!

********

Hi, aspen,

Yes, I'm amazed at how pretty the milkweed blooms are at first. I never used to notice them before I started taking pictures for the blog.

I'm happy to hear you have good health care coverage!

*******

Hi, Sempringham,

Oh, I can see it now...."Braley's Office Hassled by Former Mental Patient"....

I'm kidding. Your suggestion is very good to contact Congressman Braley. Honestly, I didn't even know he was on the Health Subcommittee. Thank you.

*******

Hi, Caution Flag,

Yeah. Here, too, we wait through illness and injuries as much as possible. Maybe it helps us try to live healthier, too....I don't know.

*******

Hi, Blue Ridge Gal,

Your comment is very interesting and I'm not a bit surprised to hear what you're saying. It verifies suspicions I've long held.

********

Hi, Pat,

Really, your daughter has to search hard for milkweed in Arkansas? She should come to Iowa. Its all over the place. That's great she wants to attract butterflies to her garden!

Gigi Ann said...

Jeannelle ~ Your picture of the milkweed brought back memories of when I was a kid. As a kid I was always thrilled when I would find a shiny green and gold speckled crysalis hanging on the milkweed leaf.
I would break the leaf off and take it in the house and check it each day until it became a butterfly. I would watch it fly around the house for a while and than put it outside to fly away. I would be thrilled today if I found the crysalis hanging on a milkweed leaf.

As far has health insurance goes, I don't look for any thing to get better. My husband carried health insurance with a very well known company, (which I won't name.) from his early 20s until he turned 65 years old, he never had a claim all those years. But, when he turned 65 they dropped the insurance and would no longer insure him. Go figure... I guess because Medicare kicked in than they no longer wanted to be bothered with him. They probably figured let Medicare pay for his medical expenses now.

Have a nice day, what is left of it.

Nancy said...

After all my years of walking beans as a farm kid, I have trouble thinking of milkweed as anything but a week. My neighbor has a patch in her front yard that spreads a little every year. It kind of bothers me for some reason, but I do like the flowers and the seed pods.
I'm right there with you with the health insurance issue. I was covered for about 6 months with my job, but when my hours reduced we were back to self coverage with a very high deductible. It is really a messed up system and even though we can barely afford our coverage I know there are many who simply have to go without any. It's just not right when it is so many hard working people that have this problem.

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Gramma Ann,

Great comment! I found a Monarch chrysalis last summer, too....hanging on a rue plant in the ditch.

Yeah, isn't that something how an insurance company will drop you like a hot potato as soon as you hit a certain age.

********

Hi, Nancy,

Oh, yeah....we used to pull milkweeds in our bean fields, too!! I don't mind seeing them now in the roadsides, but I don't think I'd go as far as planting them in my yard!

It sounds like many, many people are in the same boat, or at least in similar boats when it comes to dealing with costly health insurance. I hope someone can figure out a solution. It can't go on like this, with rates continuing to skyrocket. Something will have to give.

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Steve Crain,

I just noticed I missed your comment. Sorry.

Thank you for the good words!