Saturday, August 15, 2009

Colorful Scrapping

Aug13031

My apologies if you land at this post thinking its subject is scrapbooking. Sorry, I’m just not that sort of “scrapper”. These photos are from my trip to the junk/scrap yard with Husband the other day. Aren’t these heaps of scrap metal just the coolest thing!! A mountain of rust:

Aug13038 Next, behold “The Claw”, resting on the ground awaiting its clutching, lifting, swinging, and dropping duties:

Aug13047

It reminds me of one my favorite scenes from the movie Toy Story 2:

Hmm…..I can almost hear these piece of scrap metal voicing similar sentiments about their “Claw”!

Aug13032

“Ho-hum”, says The Claw. “Time to scoop up a clunker or two.”

Aug13068 The Claw deposits the trashed vehicles into a food-processor-like machine which noisily grinds them up. The resulting granules move up a conveyor belt and then flutter down onto a pile. Hard to imagine……those particles were once a car or truck.

Aug13070

Oh, wow…..here is a huge magnet unloading scrap metal from railroad cars:

Aug13073 This next photo is blurry, but it was the best one I could manage of the magnet being its magnetic self:

Aug13074

Next we see designer pieces that were once our rotary-hoe, used in the fields to cultivate young corn and soybeans. I told Husband he should have kept them to weld together into a farm-art sculpture of some sort. He wasn’t too keen on that idea.

Aug13049 Sitting right next to our pickup was a crunched-up Buick Skylark with a nameplate that looked photo-worthy. The colors are edited, of course.

Aug13059 (2)

That's all from the scrap yard! Have a great day!

*

(P.S. - Today is the birthday of Stanley Milgram (b. 1933) who introduced the concept of

"The Small World", which later evolved into

"The Six Degrees of Separation". Fascinating stuff!)

*

7 comments:

Pat - Arkansas said...

Interesting photos, Miss J.

I think you were right; the rotary hoes would have made great sculpture!

Gail said...

I see art, art, art!

Carolina Trekker said...

Holy Scrap...look at all the holes in that scrap. It's fascinating.
Reminds me of a Contest where you have to guess how many? Some pieces actually look like giant Leggos. You did good. Enjoyed seeing Woody again. Woodys my main Man.

Trisha said...

Cool pictures! I liked that "tour" you gave us. It is interesting to see part of the recycling process!

Reamus said...

Farm Wife,

It is hard to believe that you could go anywhere without finding something to take a picture of...great stuff...thanks for the tour.

GeckoGirl said...

You know, the rotary hoes would have made a great yard sculpture! Did you ever see "Twister"?? The aunt in the movie made "tornado sculptures" out of farm machinery that would alert her and her neighbors when the winds picked up to the possibility of tornadoes. Sorry, I haven't visited in a while...life has been keeping me busy. Teresa

Trish said...

Wow...I love metal,...shapes, patterns etc. Great shots!