Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Ambulation

Sept08474 Here’s a couple more shots from last year……taken on September 13th. The soybean fields were simply gorgeous then……only for a few days, though, then the leaves turned brown and droopy, waiting for harvest.

I remember the walk that day; the weather was overcast, but warmish. Typical September, my favorite time of year! Unfortunately, I’ve fallen out of the habit of taking long walks, and need to remedy that. I feel so much better---physically AND mentally---when brisk walking is a part of my daily routine. The heat and humidity of summer usually puts a damper on my motivation for ambulation. Autumn weather then comes to the rescue.

Sept08459

Years ago, I worked in a hospital for awhile and that word “ambulate” was part of my daily jottings in patients’ charts. One of my duties was to make sure patients who were able to ambulated per doctors’ orders. Usually, it involved walking to the end of the hall and back, two or three times a day.

Today…..this morning…..I actually did some very needed weeding in the landscaping near the house. Chirping crickets, buzzing locusts, and birdsongs provided background music. Very pleasant, indeed!

I’m heading out for a walk now. Blogging about walking has motivated me to take the plunge and do it.

*

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's been more than thirty years since I lived in Iowa and I'd forgotten just how gorgeous soy bean fields can be. Thanks for the photo!

Di

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Snappy Di,

Being a lifelong resident of the Hawkeye State, its difficult for me to imagine being out of Iowa for a week, much less thirty years! Hopefully, you found an equally great place to live. Thanks for stopping by!

Leenie said...

I was so unfamiliar with soybeans that I made DH stop by a field in Missouri so I could find out what they were. They really put on a show when they get ready for harvest! Best wishes on your walk. This is the last week I dare bike in the a.m. too dark too late and too many potholes. I will walk early until the snow forces me to the arrrrrgggh treadmill.