Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Cedar Chest Contents

dec 27 036

My exploratory expedition into the depths of the cedar chest produced more than quilts.  Therein also was a forlorn stash of fabric scraps preserving frayed bits of memories from the past---the pastel blues of my junior prom dress, a fussy flowered print that became the first blouse I ever made, the ghastly green double-knit from a jacket sewed during my high school era, a brown pinwale corduroy which evolved into skirt and vest worn during the early days of married life, and the soft red velveteen of a baby dress stitched for my firstborn. 

Unearthed, too, were several unfinished or never-started embroidery projects which jog no memories at all but do prompt a feeling of inadequacy and guilt, at least as far as embroidery is concerned.  In the entire scheme of life and the universe, that’s probably a very minor matter, though. 

Also buried in the cedar chest was a tool for attaching snaps to fabric; I had completely forgotten about owning one of those.

Obviously, the photo above has no bearing on the text of this blogpost, but I thought it was cute anyway.  There in tandem are my daughter’s size 10 feet supporting the tiny baby feet of her niece.    

3 comments:

Flea said...

Okay - I thought it was unfinished toe socks. Phew!

Pat - Arkansas said...

What a lot of memories reside in those scraps of fabric.

Love the photo! Cute baby socks!

DesertHen said...

Ah the memories we find stashed in a cedar chest!

Clever photo above...I thought she had little socks on her big toes. Then I really looked at the photo and figured it out. =)