Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Quilt of Contradiction

Here is the final quilt unearthed from my cedar chest and it is a study in contradiction:

quiltProbably, I shouldn’t even be blogging this quilt because its top is one of those pre-printed cheater types which a non-quilter like me is reduced to using.  It happened quite a few years ago when my turn came around to serve lunch at a Ladies Aid meeting at our church.  Back then, the Ladies Aid still had a quilting group and the big perk of being the lunch-server was that you were allowed to have your quilt moved to the head of the waiting list and quilted free of charge.  You had to, of course, actually have a quilt top pieced and ready to be quilted, which I naturally did not have.  Therefore, I made a mad dash to a fabric store to buy a pre-printed quilt top and the batting and backing and quilting thread to go with it.  Then, sheepishly, I handed it all over to the skillful, talented quilting ladies in the church basement on the day I served lunch.  That explains why it is a quilt of contradiction, proudly boasting authentic handmade stitches holding the layers together, while the top, though lovely in design and color, is an illusion and a fraud. 

4 comments:

Pat - Arkansas said...

My kind of quilt, Jeannelle. It's very pretty, even if the pattern is pre-printed.

Trish said...

I love it. I couldn't even do as much as you do. Here, in this little fishing village I now live in, there are those women who gather in a basement of a home, buffeted by winds and rain, and sit and quilt. A beautiful picture of fellowship.

DesertHen said...

What a great story. That alone makes the "quilt" special.

I have enjoyed your quilt posts very much! =)

Sheila said...

Rather than an 'illusion' or 'fraud', it's much better to think of those preprinted panels as 'shortcut' quilts. I've even heard them called 'cheaters', and that's so wrong. They deserve love, too.....