Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Fake Amish Quilt

Keep in mind that it is due to the dangerously slippery winter conditions outdoors that I am forced to search for things to photograph inside the house.  Quilts are my choice for now, but keep also in mind that I know practically nothing about quilting beyond the fact that they are pretty blankets which someone has sewn together.

Before focusing on the contents of my cedar chest I’ll show you quilts which for various reasons languish out in the open air of our home.  First of all this one, which is shown tilted because I wasn’t sure which way the picture looked best and LiveWriter has a convenient photo-tilting feature for use by indecisive bloggers like me:   

quilt 009   Due to its color and design, this quilt reminds me of something the Amish might make and hopefully maybe one of you will be able to tell me the name of the block pattern.  The quilt is definitely not Amish-made, however, unless Amish ladies have begun to tag their quilts “Made in China” and are marketing them to department stores.  The hard-working seamstresses in bonnets might be horrified to find out that this quilt ended up in a “Clearance” bin and was greedily snatched up by one bargain shopper who uses an alias name (Jeannelle) and knows diddly-squat about quilting and thus might not appreciate their needle-working skills.  Except, of course, that Amish ladies did not make this quilt, so it doesn’t matter.  It appears to have been hand-stitched by someone, though, and is a snuggly wrapper-upper.  Many a member of or visitor to this household has been found within the folds of this quilt, cozily reading a book or watching TV……or snoozing, of all things.

4 comments:

Flea said...

Well that's a pretty little quilt. I know next to nothing about quilting, though. Sorry.

Tiggeriffic said...

That is the log cabin pattern.. It's one of the most easiest quilts to make. So if you decided in making one this would be a good beginner project.. What better time to work on something like this ~ in the winter .
Have a tiggeriffic day~!~! ta ta for now from Iowa

Pat - Arkansas said...

I know it's colder where you are than where I am, but I've been pulling up extra quilts/blankets, too. I even turned on the heated throw I received as a Christmas gift; the kitties, despite their fur coats, seem to like it a lot!

Your faux-Amish quilt is pretty.

DesertHen said...

Pretty colors and pattern! I love to wrap up in a snuggly quilt and just read an afternoon away!