Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Crepes du Jour

Yesterday afternoon when the time came to watch my favorite travel show I was all tuckered out from a morning spent in the kitchen.  The blame in fact goes to that same travel show where along with scenery from far-flung parts of the world, viewers are treated to glimpses of ethnic cuisine, some tempting and some definitely not so.  My palate is not prepared to indulge in so-called foods such as squid, duck liver, pig’s ears, and snails, but I am comfortable with trying French crepes.  When the television travel host toured France recently, he was served a meal in which each course---hors d’oeuvre, vegetable, meat, and dessert---arrived wrapped in its own crepe.  They looked delectably yummy so I decided to give crepes a whirl, at least on a dessert course.  My old reliable Betty Crocker cookbook includes a basic crepe recipe composed of very familiar ingredients---eggs, milk, flour, baking powder, salt.  The recipe resulted in a very thin pancake-like batter which I then cooked in a cast iron skillet on top of the stove.  While the crepes cooled on racks, I made a beater-lickin’ good cream filling made of real butter, milk, flour, vanilla, and almond flavoring.  I slathered it on the crepes, then rolled them up and served them with strawberries and chocolate syrup.    

3 comments:

Caution/Lisa said...

Sounds like a great success :)

DesertHen said...

Oh dear...I just drooled on my desk!!!! Those sound so YUMMY!!!

Flea said...

Mmmm! I love a good crepe! When I was a kid I'd make them over and over till I got the technique just right. In fact, there was a crepe restaurant in New Orleans that was to die for! They had a creamed spinach filling that was my favorite. Yum!