Monday, February 21, 2011

Frugal or Not

The other day I tore myself away from the farm for a few hours.  Before leaving, I casually told my husband I was going for groceries, always a justifiably legitimate reason to fly the coop.  Once in town, however, I first deviously detoured to a second-hand store to browse for bargains.  Thirty minutes later found me depositing an armful of frugal finds on the check-out counter---two pairs of blue jeans, two books, and a nice, heavy baking dish (should be perfect for empty-nest-sized casseroles).  Cha-ching…..the total rang up to a whopping $11.  Always warms my heart to be thrifty.  It must also numb my brain or something for I then proceeded to dole out $150 at the grocery store and $5 for fast-food nourishment.  Surely this scenario could somehow be fashioned into a grade-school math story problem.  How well I remember being vexed over those! 

4 comments:

Pat - Arkansas said...

You did very well at the second-hand store! It's very, very easy to drop a substantial amount of cash at the grocery store. $150 doesn't purchase very many bags full of groceries these days.

Trisha said...

Thriftiness and grocery stores don't go together - unless you are one of those extreme couponers they show on tv.

DesertHen said...

Spent the morning at the grocery store and came home baffled at the amount spent and not much to show for it! =/

Gotta love the second-hand stores....you can find some great buys and sometimes some really expensive items on the cheap...love it when that happens!

Gail said...

It is a delight to stretch that dollar at a bargain store.

I am finding grocery shopping is a very depressing chore.