Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Backbone Overlook

On our way home from Brush Creek Canyon and Motor Mill last Sunday, my husband and I drove through Backbone State Park.  It is Iowa’s oldest state park and when I was a kid we called it “The Devil’s Backbone”.  This first photo was taken at the new overlook along the road just inside the park’s east entrance.  The Maquoketa River can be seen, lined with cliffs of limestone exposed below the tree-covered slope.  If you walk the well-known “Backbone Trail” to the far reaches of its loop, that’s where you will end up.  I have hiked it many times.  There wasn’t enough time to do that on this trip, however.  We had to get home to milk the cows!    

Backbone 10.16.11 (20) We were using the road that winds through Backbone Park as part of our route back home to the farm.  I attempted several drive-by photo shootings of the trees and rock formations, but only this next one was the least bit blog-worthy….

Backbone 10.16.11 (8) Right now, I’m enjoying using the first photo as my computer screen’s background.  What a fun and easy way to instantly enlarge favorite photo scenes!

8 comments:

Gail said...

So beautiful...These remind me of the Ozarks.

Window On The Prairie said...

I didn't know Iowa had any scenery like this. It looks like the Ozarks. Wow.

Tiggeriffic said...

I love going to Backbone Park and walking the trails.. It's so beautiful up there and a great place to go to see the colorful trees this time of year. Interesting how people think that Iowa is flat..:) We have lots of hills and hollows..
Have a Tiggeriffic Day~ ta ta for now from Iowa:)

Nancy said...

How lovely. Those look like aspens. Gorgeous photos of autumn in the midwest. :)

Gaelyn said...

It sure is pretty county and reminds me much of growing up back in IL.

DesertHen said...

Beautiful! I bet the hike through the area would be just grogeous!

Al said...

That does look like a beautiful park, nice shots.

SandyCarlson said...

What an incredible place! Gorgeous images.