Wednesday, January 4, 2012

New Lens Meets New Tractor

This afternoon our neighbor drove in to show off his brand spankin’ new tractor.  He had ordered it last summer and then was allowed to watch it be assembled at the John Deere Waterloo Tractor Works in November.  Pretty cool. 

I will use the image of this gleaming green machine to demonstrate how that wide-angle lens I mentioned yesterday works.  This first photo was taken without the wide-angle lens.  My Nikon D40’s regular lens was set at its widest setting, 18mm:

18mm While standing in the same spot, I attached the wide-angle lens and took this next picture, still at 18mm.  Vignetting does occur.

18mm with lens This next photo was taken with my camera’s regular lens set at its closest range (55mm), without the wide-angle lens:

55mm With the wide-angle lens attached, the same shot looks like this:

55mm with lens They even let me climb up into the tractor.  Wow, the cab was so clean it was almost scary!

Jan 4 (6)

Over on the side sat this cute little “command center”, looking for all the world like an electronic toy!   

Jan 4 (7) The engine was idling and you can see that we were using 0.6 gallons of fuel per hour.  We were traveling at 0.0 mph, and this tractor has a grand total of 4.6 hours on it.  When you’re looking to purchase a used tractor, instead of asking “How many miles are on it?”, you ask, “How many hours does it have?”  

7 comments:

Michaele said...

wow! That is the brand spankinest I have ever seen off the lot : )

Mildred said...

Very nice machine! But I'm afraid nowadays they put too much electronic everywhere and when it breaks down you just can't repair it by yourself and have to call for the mechanics!
Thanks for sharing your wonderfuls sohots;o)
Wishing you and your family all the best for the new year;o)

___________@@__@_@@@
_____________@__@@_____@
____________@@_@__@_____@
___________@@@_____@@___@@@@@
__________@@@@______@@_@____@@
_________@@@@_______@@______@_@
_________@@@@_______@_______@
_________@@@@@_____@_______@
__________@@@@@____@______@
___________@@@@@@@______@
__@@@_________@@@@@_@
@@@@@@@________@@
_@@@@@@@_______@
__@@@@@@_______@@
___@@_____@_____@
____@______@____@_____@_@@
_______@@@@_@__@@_@_@@@@@
_____@@@@@@_@_@@__@@@@@@@
____@@@@@@@__@@______@@@@@
____@@@@@_____@_________@@@
____@@_________@__________@
_____@_________@
_______________@
____________@_@
_____________@@_@
♥ღ♥ღ♥ღ♥HAPPY NEW YEAR♥ღ♥ღ♥ღ♥
♥ღ♥ღ♥ღ♥ღ♥ღ♥ღ♥ღ♥ღ♥ღ♥ღ♥ღ♥ღ♥ღ♥ღ♥

Judy said...

I had to show hubby this post. Nice tractor...was his comment!

Nancy said...

Great advice and great photos, Jeanelle. I'm afraid a new JD is not in our future -- our old '65 Farmall will have to do. :)

Bob Miller said...

What? No GPS?

Thanks for the tour. Brought to mind your movies from a few years ago, when you showed us around the cab of your tractor while doing something – was it tilling? I don't think so. Something a city boy wouldn't know about. That's when I first learned that you ask about the hours, not the mileage.

Your photography is top notch, Jeannelle. Best wishes.

Anonymous said...

I'm drooling 'cause it's just my size and color! Bill in southern Iowa.

Anonymous said...

Good blog! I really love how it is simple on my eyes and the data are well written. I am wondering how I could be notified when a new post has been made. I've subscribed to your RSS which must do the trick! Have a great day!
Underworks Pettipants Nylon Culotte Slip Bloomers Split Skirt 9-inch Inseam 6-Pack