Monday, January 21, 2013

Cattle


Here's another shot taken on our drive to get milker parts the other day...


     I think those are Black Angus beef cattle.  On our farm we have dairy cattle of the Holstein persuasion.  Yesterday morning we had some bad luck with one of our milk cows.  She wasn't feeling good when my husband got to the barn early to do the milking.  He called the vet but before he got there she died.  She had milk fever, something that occurs on occasion in cows that have recently calved.  Try to imagine moving a dead cow out of the barn.  It is rather difficult.  It involved log chains and a nervous me backing the skid loader up per my husband's instructions.  I don't drive the skid loader very often.  We traded for a more modern one last year and it has a heated cab which was nice to be in as our temperatures were in the single digits above zero yesterday morning.
    

2 comments:

Jori said...

Pretty photo! I love fields of cows! So sorry about your cow. :( Glad you had a heated cab. Brrrr!

Dan said...

Pretty sight, especially against the barren landscape!