Tuesday, December 8, 2020

More Transistor Chatter

 Yesterday I talked about the transistor radio I had when I was a kid.  Usually, I put this radio to use when I was doing laundry on Saturdays.  It was just me and the wringer washer down there in the basement, so I could listen to whatever I wanted.  Usually it was a Top-40 station.  One song I really liked was "Brandy (You're A Fine Girl)", by the band Looking Glass.  Listen to it HERE.  

As I put wet laundry through the wringer, I imagined being Brandy, in that city by the sea, loving a sailor who loved the sea most of all.  That's why I liked the song....it told a story my imagination could hum to.

Another time I used the radio was when I was walking beans.  That means I was walking through the soybean field pulling weeds, carrying my radio, and getting a marvelous tan or sunburn.  A few songs I remember from out in the field were, "ABC 123" by the Jackson 5, "Indian Lake" by the Cowsills, "Seasons In the Sun" by Terry Jacks, "Bridge Over Troubled Water" by Simon & Garfunkel, "Colour My World" by Chicago, and lots of Beach Boys songs.

Sometimes at night I would see what faraway stations the radio could pick up.  Little Rock, Arkansas, was always there, and sometimes WGN, Chicago.  At times, I could hear a foreign language station, but I never figured out where it was coming from.

I'm sure many, many people recall having a transistor radio back in the 60's and 70's.  It was a fun time for me and my trusty transistor, that's for certain.


Have a great day!

Remember something fun from your childhood.

3 comments:

Rose said...

I did not have a transistor radio, but my brother did. He went to sleep listening to it every night. But I listened to a radio that was in the kitchen, and can remember sitting there at night trying to get radio stations...WGN was one I got and there were two or three more 'favorites' but for the life of my I cannot remember where they were from. It was really something when FM radio became normal.

Jeannelle said...

Oh, yes, I remember, too, when FM came on the air. It sounded so much better than AM, better tone and less static. Thanks for mentioning that.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I had a radio and I would put it under my pillow and listen to WLS in Chicago or The Little Rock Station too! I love all those old songs:)