Saturday, February 23, 2008

Frosty Tree, Buds & Nest

Here's some frosty sights from earlier this morning. These photos were taken about two hours ago, and now, at noon, the frost is mostly gone from the tree branches. So you understand my hurry to snap these pictures right away.

Actually, when I turned my camera ON this morning, it didn't do anything. I inserted some freshly-charged batteries and it still didn't work. I reinserted the batteries.....still nothing. Great. I was turning the camera around in my hands, looking it over, when.......it slipped from my hands and fell on the floor! I thought that was the end of it for sure. But, I picked it up and......voila......it worked!!! Please don't try this with your own camera!!

******************



The photo below shows those long-suffering little lilac buds again......






The tree in the first photo (above) has this blob (shown below) nestled in amongst one of the high, arching branches. Believe it or not, this blob is the remnants of an oriole's nest. A Baltimore oriole, to be exact......(Hi, Countrygirl! She's from Maryland and takes awesome photos! Visit her site). Orioles, you know, build their amazing, droopy, knapsack-like nests out of the long hairs from horses' tails, or, in our case, cows' tails.





Enjoy the beauty in your world today!!!


4 comments:

Jen said...

Nice pictures!

Jeannelle said...

Thanks, Jen.....your comment alerted me to the fact that I had not given this post a title!

Have a nice day!

Country Girl said...

Oh my! These are really nice! What camera are you using?

I just can't get over that first picture of the tree!!!

I am so glad it didn't break when you dropped it!

My husband thinks that the orioles are thinning out and moving to cooler climes. They're slowly but surely leaving our area because of global warming. He said not to type that. So I typed it. I'm ornery like that.

Jeannelle said...

Oh, I'm sorry to hear the orioles are disappearing from your area. :(
I love orioles.....a colorful bird with a pretty song. I hope we have some nest here again this year.

Yes, the frost on everything was simply out-of-this-world for awhile this morning. Then, quickly, it was gone.

The camera I use is a Canon PowerShot A630.

Thanks always for your great comments!