Saturday, August 30, 2008

Pasture Psychology 101

Husband turned me, his wife, out to pasture the other day, to spend the rest of her days in peaceful grazing..........NOT REALLY!! My task was to bring the heifers home from their late afternoon alfalfa-munching session. The sun was very bright in the western sky, hence the lighting in these scenes:
***
***
To set the stage: A group of bovine heifers would be comparable to a bunch of human teenage girls. Oh, for pity's sake, why is one of them suddenly galloping, as if with great purpose........towards ME? What could she possibly want?

***
***

She doesn't look very happy, actually. Oh, brother.......wouldn't you know it. Whenever I decide to come out of my shell and socialize, it seems there's one critter in the crowd who has to run right over and start divulging his or her problems to me. At times, I feel like Rick in Casablanca.......everyone came to him, desperate for some sort of help. The heifers and others know they can safely confide in me; I'm empathetic and will listen with nonjudgmental ears and an open heart and mind, and do what I can to help them. Isn't that just the sweetest thing? (Gag) It can be problematic for me at times, though.

***
***

Upon reaching me, the troubled heifer turned away so I wouldn't see the tears in her eyes. Oh, the poor dear!

***
***

"They aren't being nice to me.......", she whispered, stifling a sob. "Them......over there......the other girls in the heifer herd.......they are snotty and won't include me in their chatting cliques as we munch alfalfa."


***
***

Racking my brain for comforting words to say, I replied, "Look me in the eye.....um, oh, I see you don't have an orange name-tag earring. Perhaps that's the reason the others aren't friendly to you; they don't know what your name is, thus they don't know who you are. There, there.......cheer up........its not really your fault, you see. When I get back to the barn, I'll try to find your name in the record book and make a new name-tag earring for you to wear. Perhaps that will remedy the situation: The other girls will know who you are and you'll be wearing the same earring style as they are. Sometimes that's all it takes to be included in the popular clique."

***
***
Well, will you look at this.......some heifers are just so brazen, coming right over and openly attempting to eavesdrop on a private conversation. I commented to NoName, "Are you sure you even want to be included in a group like this? Do you really wish to have friends who are that nosy??"

***
***
NoName could see my point, I guess. She wandered off to graze by herself in the evening light. She'll be OK. Sometimes being alone for awhile is therapeutic. It works for me. I predict NoName's mood will lighten up very soon........in fact, it appears she may have brightened already!!

***
***
***

7 comments:

rhymeswithplague said...

This is too funny!

Changing the subject, I've missed seeing comments from you on recent posts of mine. I know you've been writing a chapter or chapters for Ruth's story and counseling heifers on the side and photographing new manure spreaders and attending small-town high-school football games, but come on! I especially recommend for your reading enjoyment my post of August 25 entitled "Now that the Olympics are over." (I thought it might provoke a comment from you, but there has been only silence).

To be fair, you did comment on the Mother Goose one and you did read my Chapter 4....

Jeannelle said...

Wow.....honestly, I'm moved that you would miss my comments!? That's somehow heartwarming. Thanks for the prodding.....its like when we use the electric buzzer to shock a cow into moving!!

Caution/Lisa said...

I can tell you're a mom. It's very important that those girls look "right" so that they will fit in with the high pressure of the cliques. NoName is one lucky heifer to have you.

Pat - Arkansas said...

You're a braver woman than I! Should a heifer full-charge toward me (even if for a counseling session)all she'd see is my back side! LOL

How many kajillion birds *are* there on those wires in the last photo! Lawsy mercy! The light in that shot is beautiful. The golden hour?

Jeannelle said...

Hi, caution!

Sad, but so often true. I tried my best through the years to encourage my kids to look beyond other peoples' appearances, clothes, etc. How silly we all can be about things. My mom would always just say, "Pretty is as pretty does."

*************

Hi, Pat!

Yes, I was truly quite taken aback when that single heifer started running at me. I thought, what on earth is her problem? And, I almost was ready to jump the hot wire fence and get out of her way, but then she pulled up and stopped in front of me. Bizarre.......but, she provided a blog post for me!

The W.O.W. factor! said...

Love this post! I can envision you thinking about which exit to take! LOL!

Markus Latva-aho said...

There just is something about you and your animals! Great humor, so fun to read and see the photos:D