Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Towers, Steeples & Nose

On Saturday, during morning chores, Husband announced that he wanted us to go visit our newly-wed son and daughter-in-law, who live 2-1/2 hours away. Years ago I learned to never suggest going anywhere........Husband must come up with the idea himself, in order for me not to be considered a nag. Call me anything you want........but don't call me a nagging wife......that's the absolute LAST thing I ever want to be thought of......because I AM NOT ONE! I'm a blogger, not a nagger!!
*
After chores were done, I hurriedly packed a cooler of snacks and drinks and off we went, heading south to catch four-lane Highway 20. As we motored east, the sunlight filtered soothingly through the clouds and into my passenger-side window. Ah-h, very relaxing......
*
Along the way, I zoomed the camera and blindly snapped at watertowers, steeples, old barns, trees........you name it! The following photos show some of the results. As you view these pictures, remember we were sailing along at 70 miles-per-hour, thus there was no way to plan the composition of the photos.
*
First of all, the patriotic Independence, Iowa, watertower, backed up by the Mental Health Institute's spooky buildings. MHI was built back in the 1800's.......it was probably known as an "insane asylum" then. Its a big place......there must have been alot of crazy people around then, and it would probably have been my abode, had I lived at that time! Years ago, when I was in LPN school, our class toured MHI.....even the dungeon-like basement. My parents referred to MHI as, "the silo", a corruption of the word, "asylum". They would speak of so-and-so being "in the silo". And, sometimes my mom would yell at us kids: "You'd better straighten up, or you'll drive me to Independence!" To us kids, "Independence" was not a town......it was the place where parents ended up after their kids drove them crazy!

*
Next we have the Manchester, Iowa, watertower. "Adventuregirlwannabe", this photo is for you, because you once lived in Manchester:

*
Slowly, slowly......the sun made itself known across the landscape, but with clouds casting long shadows here and there. As for a farm harvest report: the majority of corn remains in the fields and we noticed many soybean fields not combined yet, either.
*
Ok, these next twin church spires belong to a very famous landmark in Iowa........
The Basilica of St. Francis Xavier in Dyersville. (Its by complete chance that the DQ sign ended up also in this photo.) There are 52 basilicas in the U.S., and this is the only one located outside of a major metropolitan area. A few years ago, I had the privilege of touring the Basilica with a school group; it is gorgeous inside and is probably as close to a cathedral as I will ever experience. Somewhere in my shoebox archives are photos from there; maybe I can find a few to post someday. A few miles northeast of Dyersville is another famous spot........
The Field of Dreams, where the Kevin Costner movie of the same name was filmed (rhymsie, that's for you). I've also been there several times on school trips.
*
A few miles east of Dyersville is Farley, Iowa. My sincere apologies for this random encounter between Husband's nose and the church steeple. I guarantee it was entirely unintentional! A large car-racing stadium exists at Farley, too, on the south side of the highway.
*
Not far down the road is the town of Epworth, home of Divine Word Seminary. The scenery there went by too fast; I couldn't get a photo. This part of Iowa is definitely Catholic country, and traditionally Democrat, though who knows how things will turn out with next week's election. We saw many political signs promoting Democrat candidates, state and otherwise.
*
This next photo, obviously, shows the Peosta watertower. Let's see.....what else is at Peosta? The Northeast Iowa Community College, I believe.
*
This next scene came along later, on Highway 61.......the old Hurstville watertower. Someday, I hope to be able to explore the historic Hurstville lime kilns built into the hill below this landmark.
*
Just past Hurstville on Highway 61 is Maquoketa, Iowa. Years ago, when our first two children were very small, we spent a day here in Jackson County, touring Maquoketa Caves State Park and artist Patrick Costello's renovated grist mill/art gallery.
*
This final photo is my favorite of today's post........it was snapped along Highway 61 and I don't recall the name of the place. I like the random combination of the steeple, the leafy tree branches and dead trunks, plus a spindly evergreen tree. If you click the photo, you will see that the bellfry louvres are in need of a paint job! Maybe they'd hire Husband to do it.......he painted the cross on top of our church's steeple once. Seeing him up there scared me half out of my mind.
*
Now your day is complete, right?! You've seen some really exciting sights from along Highways 20 and 61 in Iowa. Yeah, right. Like Kate the Country Girl states on her blog's header......"Try not to get too excited!!"

*
*








16 comments:

Laura ~Peach~ said...

wonderful stuff... I always enjoy highway 61 in missouri there are just some pretty places, rocks, rolling hills, and watertowers :)

rhymeswithplague said...

I love this post! The water towers, the church steeples (especially the one up your husband's nose), the peeling louvers, the link to the Field of Dreams Movie Site site and a link there to Roger Ebert's review of the movie (he liked it!), and your accompanying narrative and memories -- I felt I made the trip right along with the two of you!

Iowa certainly has some unusual town names -- Peosta, Marquoketa, not at all ordinary like Georgia's Talking Rock and Ball Ground and Social Circle and Chattahoochee Landing and Montezuma.

And I thought I remembered Iowa as being flat, but your shot of the interstate certainly proves otherwise!

Keep up the good work! I'm only an armchair traveler these days....

Down on the Farm said...

Thanks for a little return trip to Iowa for me.

I just want to comment on your "nagging". My husbands mom was a nagger. When he and I got married he told me the only reason he would ever divorce me is if I ran out of catsup, Miracle Whip and if I nagged. the Lord let me keep him for 40 years before He took him home. Guess I did a pretty good job.

Adventure girl said...

Awesome watertower tour.
Thanks for mine:):):):):):)
You could never be a nag, you're too sweet!

Dr.John said...

I loved the pictures and the tour.
In Upper Michigan when your kids drove you insane you went to Newbery ( not the town but the institution).
That must have been a common way of designating asylums.

Jeannelle said...

Laura,

You're a faithful early morning blog reader! I was never very familiar with Hwy. 61 before now. Looking at an atlas.....61 appears to start near St. Paul, MN, and goes clear down to Baton Rouge. Cool!

**********

rhymsie,

Whew.....what a relief.....you liked this post!! But, really....what does Roger Ebert know?? (Just kidding!)

Hey, you have some very unique town names there in Georgia.....we should all blog about unusual town names in our areas sometime. Iowa has a "Lost Nation" and a "What Cheer". And, yes, much of Iowa's landscape is rolling, and especially hilly as you get nearer to the Mississippi River.

************

down on the farm,

Thanks for stopping in! That's right....you once live in eastern Iowa.

Yes, I absolutely will not nag, mainly because I never want my husband to refer to me as a nag. Proverbs 21:9 says more or less....."Better to live on the roof than share the house with a nagging wife!"

I would hate to see my poor hard-working husband living on the roof....although, on second thought.....he doesn't seem to mind climbing......

**********

adventuregirl,

Thanks for visiting! Oh, but no, I'm not very sweet. Have a great day!

Jeannelle said...

dr. john,

Oh, that's funny....."straighten up or you'll drive me to Newbery." LOL

But, seriously, think how awful it was back then for anyone who had mental illness.....they were considered insane or crazy. The only treatment being to lock them up in an asylum. Shudders. I think Iowa had four asylums, one in each quadrant of the state, Independence being one, others at Clarinda and Cherokee, and I'm not sure of the other location, although it might be Mt. Pleasant. Other states must have had similar asylum systems.

~Mad said...

Well, Alabama has "Intercourse, Pisgah and Wetumpka" (which I always call, Weed-a-pook-a) and Center for towns!
How's that for a start?
~Mad(elyn) in Alabama
www.xanga.com/madewyn

Pat - Arkansas said...

Loved your trip photos, 70-miles-an-hour-out-the-window or not, especially the spire up your DH's nose! :) You always give great information to go along with your photos.

Arkansas has some unusual place names, too: Possum Trot, Possum Grape, Fifty-Six, Timbo (home of Jimmy Driftwood),and Oil Trough, to name only a few.

I tried hard not to nag my DH, but I sure :::sighed::: a lot, deeply and loudly, when DH became totally exasperating. I think he would have preferred a bit of nagging. :)

rhymeswithplague said...

I misspoke. It's not Chattahoochee Landing, it's Chattahoochee Plantation!

In Florida, you "go to Chattahoochee" but in Georgia you "go to Milledgeville."

Mrs. B said...

What?!? No pictures of Dubuque??? (*gasp*) Did you not go all the way to Dubuque & then down 151/61? Or when you got to Peosta, did you cut over on Sundown Road (which then turns into Monastery Rd & then into Skyline Rd) running from Hwy 20 to Hwy 61? And if you took that road, did you happen to see the Abbey? (http://www.newmelleray.org/)

Thanks for bringing me "back home" for a bit. Loved the familiar sites.

Jeannelle said...

Hi, mad,

Oh....what a good chuckle from seeing the funny names from other areas! Thanks for stopping by!

*********

pat,

More funny names....Possum Grape??!
Whatever would be the origin of that one!

So you really think your husband would have preferred nagging sometimes over your sighs. Something for me to think about.

Yes....I was very surprised and a bit pleased to get that steeple-up-the-nose shot!

**********

rhymsie,

Golly......I was about to call ya on THAT one.....trying to slip an erroneous Chattahoochee past me, eh??

And, more asylum names....Chattahoochee and Milledgeville.....cool!

**********

Mrs. B,

You're absolutely correct and have proven without a doubt that you used to live around Dubuque....and you even know the roads' names! Yes, we turned off 20 near Peosta and took the hilly road that goes by the monastery.....a few photos from that area coming soon.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I don't think I've ever seen so many water towers and steeples at one time. I especially enjoyed the photo with your husband's nose.

DesertHen said...

Love this post....thank you for the hwy photo tour.

I'm trying to catch up on blog reading today.....

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Ruth and deserthen!

Yes, I really like the nose/steeple photo, too. Its a great view of my husband.....

dot said...

I love to take shots of water towers. You've really got some good ones!