Friday, January 23, 2009

Goin' Out In Style

We just got home from my sister's husband's father's funeral. The warmth of sympathy and comfort abounded inside hearts and minds, but a sub-zero windchill ruled the world outside here at a church situated amongst Iowa farm fields.
This classic restored Ford pick-up bore the casket to the cemetery behind the church:

My brother-in-law was at the wheel of the pickup bearing his dad's casket:
The man buried today had restored this pickup with the help of several of his friends.......in anticipation of this occasion. His obituary stated he died "after an eight-year battle against a multitude of cancers". He had faced the disease head-on, undergoing many surgeries to stay ahead of the game, but his heart finally gave out following an operation last week. He was 65 years old.


Pinned inside the lid of the casket were notes from the young grandchildren. One said: "Say HI to Dale Earnhardt for me." (Racing is an interest of the whole family.)
*
*
Here's what was printed inside the funeral folder:
I am standing upon the seashore. A ship at my side spreads her white sails to the morning breeze and starts for the blue ocean. She is an object of beauty and strength. I stand and watch her until at length she hangs like a speck of white cloud just where the sea and sky come to mingle with each other.
Then someone at my side says: "There.....she is gone!"
"Gone where?"
Gone from my sight. That is all. She is just as large in mast and hull and spar as she was when she left my side and she is just as able to bear the load of living freight to her destined port.
Her diminished size is in me, not in her. And just at the moment when someone at my side says: "There.....she is gone!" There are other eyes watching her coming and other voices ready to take up the glad shout: "Here she comes!"
And that is dying.
*
*
Here's how the road looked on our way home after the funeral lunch:
*
I hope to soon get back into the swing of blogging. Everything just snowballed this week, with the funeral activities, plus make-up basketball games almost every night of the week.
Within a week or so I should have my daughter's laptop to use here at home. She's buying a new one and I am buying hers. I can hardly wait!
*




14 comments:

DesertHen said...

Jeannelle,

What a beautiful post to a man who fought hard to win his battle. I am so sorry for the family's loss. My prayers are with you all. Not an easy time, but what a beautiful tribute you have done here with the photos. The red truck is stunning against the frozen blue of the winter landscape.

(((HUGS))) to you my friend. Oh, and you are so going to enjoy that laptop...=)

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I'll pray for the family during this time of grieving.

I'm glad to hear about the laptop.

Barb said...

So sorry for your families loss,the pic of the truck was stunning,you all will be in my prayers...Barb

Gail said...

What a warming tribute!

Deb said...

What a befitting recollection to a loved family member. This is one of my favorite post of the day. Heartwarming and touching...

Russell said...

Sorry to hear about your loss but it sounds like this man certainly had a wonderful life - though much, much too short.

Take care and hopefully one of these days we will get a break from this cold, cold, cold weather...

Kat Mortensen said...

A sad occasion, but your photos have rendered it some real beauty. The red truck is such a bright focal point in each picture. I suppose it symbolizes the man himself, shining in the sun as he goes to a better place.
The snow-scaped road reminds me of one not far from us...in Mennonite country.

Very nice, thoughtful post.

Kat

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Deserthen,

Thank you for stopping by and for your thoughtful comments, and for your prayers. Yes, the contrast of the red truck against the blue sky and white snow was quite a sight.

**********

Hi, Ruth,

Thank you for the prayers. The correct symbolism was there....with his dad's passing, my brother-in-law will suddenly be "at the wheel" now in many respects and will need prayers through the adjustment phase.

*********

Hi, Barb,

Welcome....your name looks new. Thanks for stopping by and for your prayers, too.

**********

Hi, Gail,

You know.....that pickup did add a warm color to the scenes of the day. If only we could have felt it!

**********

Hi, Deb,

Thank you for your kind words. Funeral days are always full of moving moments.

********

Hi, Russell,

Thanks for visting. Yes, he did live a full life and was generous person. That was the word I kept hearing all day about him...."generous".

And, may this cold weather depart SOON. I've had enough!

*********

Hi, Poetikat,

Thank you for your kind and thoughtful words. Yes, the red truck was very symbolic. Its drive with the casket was short, but very meaningful.

And, you have Mennonite neighbors. Good, hard-working people.

Judy said...

You captured the scene beautifully...the casket, the red truck and the snowy fields. And what a nice tribute!

Country Girl said...

What you wrote is beautiful, Jeannelle. What a way to look at death.
Congratulations on your new purchase. I know you're going to love it!

rebel said...

I'll pray for your family. Heart touchin' post.

Caution/Lisa said...

I do believe that is a fitting way to take a final ride. But 65? So very young.

Jeannelle said...

Judy, Country Girl, rebel, Caution,

Thank you for your kind thoughts. Back when I was six years old and my grandpa died at age 65, that seemed really old. But, now that I'm 50.....65 doesn't sound old at all.

Lady of the Cloth said...

What a nice post for this man. I love the poem and the way to look at death. Just out of sight for one, in sight for another. Thanks for sharing. carline