Thursday, April 23, 2009

Facing Up To Facebook

oats facebook

Yeah, pathetic though it is……I signed up for Facebook a few days ago. My sister talked me into it. On my Facebook “wall” yesterday I posted this super exciting photo of the oats coming up out in the field. Whoo-eee!

I now have a total of---(drum roll, please)---ELEVEN “friends” on Facebook. Haha……I did a search of my Hotmail contacts and found a few of you bloggers on Facebook, too. Some of you have over 100 friends! Wow…..I’m in awe!

Another search I did was for my high school classmates from eons ago. Forty-nine of us graduated in 1976. Guess how many are on Facebook……a whopping FOUR! Yours truly, and three sports-jock-type guys. I’m not planning to invite them to be my friends just yet, and I doubt they’ll be pounding on my Facebook door for friendship, either. One of them is an OB/GYN…..he always was one of the hunkier guys in the class, thus his choice of medical specialty has provided many shudders and chuckles for his former classmates of the female persuasion. No way will I bother him to be my friend…..no way.

Mostly, my Facebook friends are my sister, my kids, their cousins, and my husband’s cousins’ kids living in far-flung parts of the country. Facebook could be a handy way to keep updated on their busy lives and see photos of weddings, babies, and other milestones. The older generations, now gone, might have approved of Facebook for that reason, I think. Since the old folks have passed on , we hardly ever see the far-extended family anymore, nor see photos of them very often. The world changes……people move away……that’s just how it is.

One of my Facebook friends is an older lady, now widowed, who taught for many years at our Lutheran dayschool. All four of my kids have fond memories of her. She was always very interested in everyone and encouraged creativitiy…..not all teachers accomplish that. Her Facebook page shows her to have over 250 friends, most of them her former students. Good for her!

At this point, my impression of Facebook is that it could be described as extremely miniscule blogging, the posts tending to be brief as brief can be…..like my caption for yesterday’s oats photo: “Oats are up! They were planted on April 4th.” Wowser. Facebookers wouldn’t want to know much more than that, anyway. “T.M.I.” (Too Much Information) belongs on blogs…..so blog on, bloggers!! I’ll give Facebook a try for awhile; if I don’t care for it…..splitsville!

*

P.S. – Here’s the fun that was going on around the farm yesterday:

Picking up a few rocks….

22nd005

Notice how dry the ground is…..we need a soaking rain.

22nd010

And, the neighbor was planting his corn with a fancy-dancy new planter:

22nd013

*

Have a great day, folks!! (Bessie is still attending that therapeutic symposium for women and Fred is being mentored by a male bonding expert……I’ll post a report soon.)

*

16 comments:

Caution/Lisa said...

FB is fun - to a point. I like the quick notes and it has opened up new friendship paths with some neighbors. It's crazy to be "FB chatting" with someone one street over, but...

Now, I think you should invite those men to be your friends. How they've aged may give you a chuckle.

And just so you know, to see your friend invite on FB made me smile.

~Mad said...

I'm also on FB - my 40th high school reunion is upcoming this sunmmer. We have all been reconnecting. You'd be surprised at home is a healer - I have had much fun catching up on FB with folks I'd never have connected with again.
I keep up daily with my small family in other states as well.

Try it! You'll like it! (name that commercial)
I'm M@delyn M@gruder
~Mad(elyn) in Alabama

~Mad said...

Me Again!

As you can see - my fingers don't type so well. More evidence that it has been 40 years!

...reunion this summer....be surprised at how TIME

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Caution,

Aw...your comment makes me smile, too! I doubt I could ever be friends with a male gynecologist, though....ack....no way!

********

Hi, Mad,

Darn, now all day I'll be trying to remember what "Try it, you'll like it" was an ad for! I can hear that commercial in my head, but have no clue what it was about. I'm gonna go ask my husband....he's pretty good at remembering stuff like that.

That's impressive if folks 40 years past high school are taking the plunge into Facebook. Cool!

Jeannelle said...

Yup....Husband remembered the commercial.....it was for LIFE cereal. Mikey's big brother kept saying that..."Tr-r-y it, you'll li-i-ke it". Is that the right one?

Gigi Ann said...

Interesting read today. I never did understand what Facebook was all about. Now, I think I am just as confused as ever! My motto is: "Don't confuse me, I confuse very easily."

Have a Terrific Thursday! ;)

Pat - Arkansas said...

I (mistakenly) thought that Iowa was all deep dirt and no rocks! We kids spent two full summers, and a lot of weekends, picking up rocks in a field where daddy wanted to plant oats. Oh, my aching back!

Alicia @ boylerpf said...

I started a Facebook page a while back and it seems that most of the "friends" I have are all family members. I just never tune in much and my kids have claimed that I use it only to check up on them...LOL!

Leenie said...

Nice crop of rocks! Funny how they don't need much water to grow. ;D. Snazzy corn planter too. Bet that speeds up the job.

Anonymous said...

Some people, in my opinion, acquire as many friends on their Facebook page for no good reason... I have had a few high school friends offer Friendship and then you never hear from them again.... after a while I just delete them as a friend and refer them to my blog should they wish to stay in touch with me. I only have 24 friends/family on Facebook and find that to be more than enough.

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

~Mad said...

I have to laugh - I said "Name that commercial" when I, myself, had NO idea! So, good for you guys!

I don't keep up with everyone on my FB either - you kind of get down to a core group that goes round and round and "visits" every day or so.
~Mad

Egghead said...

I am on Facebook as well but only for my kids and the few friends I want to keep in contact with. But I did a post with the real reason I am on facebook. You might want to join me. You can be so successful as a farmer and you don't even have to get your hands dirty or be exhausted at night. Ha!

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Gramma Ann,

You'd do fine on Facebook. Its easier than blogging, really, but with more distractions. You can upload a photo and add a caption to it, just like in blogging.

********

Hi, Pat,

Sounds like you have some good rock picking memories there! That activity was an annual occurrence when I was growing up, too. We had a "back 40" that was full of rocks.

*********

Hi, Alicia,

That's probably how my Facebook page will be, too. I just got home from a track meet and checked my email....there's a whole list of long lost cousins who have added me as "a friend"!

********

Hi, Leenie,

Yeah, where DO those rocks come from every year? Just think....a glacier brought them here special delivery a long time ago!

*********

Hi, Blue Ridge Gal,

Yeah, I think it would be easy to get too many friends, and like you say, "for no good reason". I mainly wish to see photos of the distant relatives from time to time.

*********

Hi, Mad,

I've already "hidden" a few of my Facebook "friends"...the young relatives who keep inviting me to join their "mafia".\

And, that's funny....you didn't know the commercial, either!

*********

Hi, Egghead,

Hey, I read your post about Facebook Farming game. Pretty cool! Thanks for mentioning it.

Judy said...

I'm catching up on 'farming in Iowa'! I hear my brother has been planting corn...and they are always talking about rock picking (a job that never seems to be done).

I've been on Facebook for two years...and rarely go there. I like using lots of words!

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Judy,

Thanks for dropping by on this drippy day in Iowa. Hopefully your brother got his corn all in; we've received several inches of rain today.

No kidding about Facebook. I'm way too wordy for it, too!

Yolanda said...

I am too. I would enjoy being your friend. I too find it neat to reconnet with people from my past.I love the quote you have about kindness.