Saturday, April 25, 2009

Trees & Birds of Arbor Day

Though I didn't plant a tree yesterday honor of Arbor Day, I did take pictures of trees. Here's a weeping willow that managed to survive the tornado last year. About half of it was blown down, as you can see. Thankfully, the rest lives on to provide my favorite color combination.....sky blue and spring green!
24th017 (2)
Yesterday afternoon I had to run into Cedar Falls to pick up the sweet corn seed we had ordered from the Earl May store. On the way, I sidetracked to a rural cemetery where some of my paternal ancestors are buried. This is a good time of year to stop at cemeteries......farmers out planting corn in the surrounding fields will think you are there because of Memorial Day coming up in a few weeks. They won't realize you are in reality an oddball obsessed with taking photos of any interesting thing you can find.
*
And, there was something intriguing right next to the cemetery gate…..a mystery tree! I have no idea what its botanical name is. Maybe you can tell me. It was a very tall, pointy-shaped tree, absolutely covered in cones......it must be a conifer of some sort. What is puzzling is that the branches looked more like those of a deciduous tree, with the needles situated in bundles.
24th052
Here and there on the branches were these lovely magenta-colored flowers or buds:
24th059 (2) 
If you know what kind of tree this is, please say so in a comment. I will try to consult Google or a tree book to get more information, too.
*
[Update:  It might be a “Larch” tree, a coniferous deciduous tree, oddly enough. The link states:  In the Civil War era and earlier, it was common to have a larch tree in a town cemetery to symbolize death in the winter and rebirth in the spring.]
*
Earlier in the day, my son and I were in Waterloo for an orthodontist appointment. Afterwards, we decided to get a quick treat at Burger King. We were sitting in the drive-through lane and noticed this robin nesting close by amongst vines on a fence. (Click the photo to enlarge it to full-screen to see the robin better.) Just beyond the fence is a busy four-lane street always filled with noisy traffic. Apparently, that doesn't bother Mrs. Robin!
This rooster pheasant scurried by after I dropped my son back at school:

After that, a stripey-necked killdeer dropped in for a brief appearance:
This pair of annoyed Canada geese honked and scolded at the human who was bothering them in their peaceful abode in the wetlands southeast of Readlyn. I don't blame them.
Haha......they got caught on video, too! I hope you can hear them honking over the sound of the wind. If you listen closely, you will hear frogs croaking, too......they've just started their season of singing! Have a great day!

8 comments:

Gail said...

A day full of beauty...my favorite kind.

rhymeswithplague said...

I haven't seen a wild pheasant since I lived in Texas. Or an armadillo (not that you posted a picture of an armadillo).

The most unusual thing I've seen since moving to Georgia (I mean besides Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney) was a mother quail with several little ones traversing our back yard, and that was 30 years ago. Oh, and the six-foot-long snakeskin wrapped around our downspout.

But the Canada geese are everywhere nowadays.

I love it when a post of yours reminds me of something from days gone by.

Flea said...

Beautiful photos. :) The Canadian geese are ALL OVER Tulsa this time of year. Noisy creatures and I love them

Pat - Arkansas said...

That poor old willow tree; a true demonstration of nature's fight for survival. I agree with you about the spring green and blue; just beautiful.

Thanks for the video clip of the geese. I could hear the frogs. Must have been at least one bull frog in that water. About all I hear around here is the "peepers."

Hope your area will escape any damage from the storm front that's moving your way.

Kat Mortensen said...

Oh, I love the kildeer! We used to have a mother and her babies outside of the place I worked down near the river (gosh that makes me sound like a woman of ill-repute, doesn't it)? It was actually a family-owned fluid power business.
Canada geese, in my experience, are perpetually annoyed.

I have a fun award for you at "Keepsakes". I double dog dare ya!

Kat

Kat Mortensen said...

Just watched the video too - great flick! You're such a naturalist at heart, aren't you?

Kat

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Gail,

I hope you had a beautiful day today, too!

********

Hi, rhymsie,

The quail family I wouldn't mind seeing in my yard, but a 6-foot snake.....NO THANKS!

*********

Hi, Flea,

Thanks. I didn't know that Canada geese lived in southern states now, too. Blog and learn.

*********

Hi, Pat,

We received some much-needed rain and not in storm-form, thankfully. Yes, hooray for bullfrogs and blue & green!

*******

Hi, Kat,

I like that...."perpetually annoyed"....sometimes I feel that way, too.

Oooh, your newest tag might be too daring for me. I give it some thought. Thanks ever so much!

I'm easily distracted, more than a naturalist, probably.

********

Jeannelle said...

Hey....the mystery tree is a Larch tree, also called Tamarack. It is a cone-bearing deciduous tree. I was not aware such a thing existed.

The larch is native to North America and other northern climes and is adapted to living further north than any other tree.