Monday, May 4, 2009

Pickin’ Up Rocks & Treasures

Its the time of year for picking up rocks where needed…..after fields are tilled and before row crops are planted.

2nd024 My married daughter (from Des Moines area) was home over the weekend. Was she here because she missed seeing Pa and Ma? No……she needed rocks for a landscaping project. She couldn’t have chosen a better time because Husband’s work plans for the weekend included picking up rocks.

2nd026 Residing permanently in the middle of one of our fields is this massive boulder. We believe large chunks of it were blasted away years ago to provide foundation stones for the original buildings on this farm. Several of those large blocks now reside in the landscaping near our house. I like to imagine that ancient people may have sat on this boulder and surveyed the adjacent low-lying area.

We believe this hole in the boulder was drilled for the placement of dynamite:

2nd027 Daughter chose rocks to take home from the piles surrounding the large boulder. Then she went to the other end of the field and helped her dad pick up rocks in the areas of ground that had been disturbed last fall during the excavating done to dig in new strings of drainage tile.

Here’s some of Daughter’s choices…..they will look better once they’re cleaned with the power washer:

2nd070

I decided to start working on the closest tile ditch. Much to my surprise, the first rocks I found were the two large flat ones shown in the next photo, each about two feet long and one foot wide. Honestly, I have never found rocks this shape before, and more odd yet was the fact that there were TWO of them right next to each other! As if God had stowed away a spare pair of tablets for The Ten Commandments, right here in the soil of our farm in Iowa! Sasquatch was curious about them, too, and proceeded to plop right down in the shade of the upright stone which promptly toppled over on her!

2nd034 The less visible stone was embedded too tightly for me to dig it out. Husband had to do it.

*

Since childhood, I’ve been involved in more annual rock-picking expeditions than I care to remember. When I was growing up, our “back forty---and it literally was a 40-acre field located at the back of the farm---produced a new crop of rocks every spring. We kids would glumly take our spot on the flat-bed trailer for the bone-jarring ride to the field. The thoughts going through my head then always included, “Maybe I will get lucky and find an arrowhead this time”…….but that never happened. Sigh. That hopeful wish still lives inside of me, however……and GUESS WHAT!! I may have found a Native American artifact on Saturday! Its not a projectile point, but I believe it could be a cutting tool or scraper. I spotted it not far from where the two flat rocks were. Its edges are VERY sharp (I could use it as a jack knife, for cutting baling twine, etc.) and one side appears to have been deliberately chipped.

CemeteryTour3rd073 (2) We left piles of interesting rocks on the edge of the field to pick up later.

2nd038 Eventually, the colorful rocks in the creek bed caught my attention, too, but I decided to come back another time to retrieve some of those…..if I can find a pair of boots that don’t have holes in them!

2nd060

2nd050

The trunk of Daughter’s car was well-weighted down by the time she left.

073 *

Here’s two round stones I found a few years ago……down by the creek. They could be tools from the past (or prehistoric golf balls).

CemeteryTour3rd068 (2)

Here’s a link to a video about a cache of ancient tools that were dug up in Boulder, Colorado, during a landscaping project.

*

[Related coincidence: On Sunday, the day after we picked up these rocks, our pastor's sermon text was Acts 4:11: This Jesus is the stone that was rejected by you, the builders, which has become the cornerstone.]

*

Have a rockin’ good day yourself!

*

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

The round ones are gorgeous and would look nice just sitting in a glass dish in your home. Used to always be thrilled as a child whenever I would find an arrowhead up in Kossuth County where I grew up. I used to sit and imagine the Indians that would have used them.

Great post!
Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Gigi Ann said...

What an interesting picture story about your rocks. Remember back in the 70s or was it the 60s when "Pet Rocks" became a fad for a few months and people bought them for pets! Oh well, I am a bit older then you, maybe you won't remember.

Anonymous said...

It's amazing how fascinating rocks can be. I think you're right about the cutting tool. I'm not an expert, but I went on a dig in college and learned a few things. We were at a Native American site.

The round stones are really neat. What would they have been used for I wonder?

Anonymous said...

Your post about picking rocks sure brings back memories. We have done this same job many times on our farm. It was while pulling the rock wagon that our children first learned to drive tractor. Dad put it into the lowest gear, and taught them how turn the key to off when he yelled stop. Their little legs could not yet reach the clutch and brake! Dairymary

sjm said...

What are my penguin pajamas doing in your daugher's car???

I love bringing rocks/stones home from places we've traveled.

Caution/Lisa said...

That is absolutely fascinating! You do amaze me how you are able to see details. What a glorious mind you really do have.

Laura ~Peach~ said...

love the creek... and we used to find arrow heads on the back 40 when tilling for local gardeners... I love searching for rocks and tools and funs history stuff too!~
are those cows behaving???

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Blue Ridge Gal,

Good idea....I had been keeping the round stones hidden away, but maybe will find a way to display them as you suggested. Thanks!

And, I'm so envious....you've actually found arrowheads! Cool!

********

Hi, Gramma Ann,

I never had a pet rock, but we did paint rocks in Bible School one year and still have that rock.

********

Hi, Carolyn,

That's sounds like fun, to go on a actual dig for artifacts. Good for you!

I've read that the round stones may have been used for chipping and grinding bones and other stones, or even as a weapon to throw or in a slingshot.

********

Hi, Dairymary,

Oh, that's a good memory you have! We used a John Deere A tractor to pull the flatbed trailer and its clutch was a lever even us kids could reach.

My husband likes to use the loader for collecting the rocks instead of a trailer.

********

Hi, sjm,

Haha! You two have similar tastes in fabric, I guess. I think that's a blanket in the trunk.

I have a few rocks picked up as souvenirs on trips and I always ask my mom and stepdad to bring me back a rock when they travel to Europe.

********

Hi, Caution,

Well, I don't know about that glorious mind thing. You'd see the details, too, if someone put you in a field to pick up rocks and then yelled at you when you missed some.

********

Hi, Laura,

Oh, cool, you've found arrowheads, too! I'm so jealous.

Fred & Bessie are fine (and so are the big cows) and awaiting their final adventure here. They will be going back to visit their mama Flea for awhile.

DesertHen said...

What a rock'in rocky post! Gee, that was bad...he, he.

Loved seeing all of the rocks. Have done my fair share of rock picking in the past! Digging potatoes in Idaho always manifested into rock digging as we would hit hidden washes, etc as the potato diggers moved through the fields. There were times the machines would have to come to a complete stop so we could clear out all of the rocks!

I do believe you are right about the scrapping tool. We have one very similar to it that was found years ago on the first ranch we lived on.

Kat Mortensen said...

Well, either they are "tools" or the Godfather's ghost has been around to play bocce ball!

Kat

alphabet soup said...

Some of those boulders are huge!! What a back breaking task digging up rocks. And what exciting finds, the small stones that may be implements. Another great post Janelle. And yes, it was the Sunday about the stone that was rejected becoming the cornerstone. See, I was paying attention this Sunday.
:-0
Ms Soup

Pat - Arkansas said...

Man!! Uh... Woman!! I l.o.v.e. that big rock in the middle of your field! Have you wondered about how it came to be there? Amidst all that lovely Iowa dirt? Things like this intrigue me. Glacier movement would be my first guess but, of course, I could be totally wrong.

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Deserthen,

Wow...you've had some adventures with the potato-digging! And, cool, too, that you've found possible stone tools. Its exciting....it sure made my day, anyway. I like that "rockin' rocky"!

*********

Hi, Poetikat,

Oh, that's a great description of those stone balls...for bocce ball. We have that game.....it is simple but lots of fun!

********

Hi, alphabet soup,

I wish I'd have appreciated rock-picking more when I was young. You can make it exciting if you consider it a treasure hunt.

Are you Lutheran, too? Or maybe that verse was in readings in other churches, too.

********

Hi, Pat,

I was taught that glaciers deposited the rocks that are found in Iowa fields, so I assume that's what took place. There are big rocks here and there in fields all over Iowa. The farm I grew up on had two big boulders on it and we played on and around them often.