Sunday, May 3, 2009

Thrasher In The Maple

garage leaf

This will be my last mention of maple buds and blossoms……I promise…..I think. The problem is their delightful shade of green. Its irresistible! Someone else thinks so, too, and was melodiously singing about it yesterday morning high in the tiptop of a soft maple tree:

bird 2

I believe this bird to be a Brown Thrasher, sometimes erroneously called a Brown Thrush, and nicknamed “The Mockingbird of the North”.

Read about it here and here.

bird 1
****

“However the world goes ill,

The thrushes still sing in it.”

****

My Birds of Iowa Field Guide by Stan Tekiela states that Brown Thrashers are “prodigious songsters”. No kidding. Its song caught my attention as I was walking out to the field to pick up rocks, causing me to be delayed several minutes in getting started with that exhilarating task. Thank you, Thrasher!

The field guide also states “the male Brown Thrasher has the largest documented song repertoire of all North American birds, with over 1100 song types.” Quite impressive.....an iPod with wings! (And, yes, I’m well aware that the photos are not crystal clear……its the best I can do with the photographic equipment at my disposal.)

bird 3

Here’s one of them bloomin’ maples again. The unfurling leaves look a bit like lobster pincers here:

better sky leaf

Its a hard maple variety…..possibly a Norway Maple, but I could be wrong about that. Right now, a maple syrupy scent fills the air around this tree, too.

maple many branches *

Here’s how the buds look right now on another hard maple tree in our yard, next to an even different one which was transplanted as a seedling from my parents' farm thirty years ago. I should do a search to learn what these various hard maples' proper names are, but am too tired at the moment.

maple red bud *

Have a blessed Sunday!

*

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never tire of seeing buds and birds. We have lots of mocking birds here... one that is extremely loud and vocal.. Love listening to them.

Raining here this morning... enjoy your day!

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Country Girl said...

Picking up rocks has got to be my least favorite job. Not that I have to do it anymore, but I hear ya! I just came in from sitting out front listening to the birds.

Leenie said...

About ten years ago I planted a maple in our yard. It is in the same stage of leafing out as yours. The new maple we planted last fall to replace the dying birch is also popping out little green tufts. I do understand the thrill of spring green in the trees. The bird shots are fun too. Don't think we have those guys, but our meadow larks do a great job.

rhymeswithplague said...

Love the maples, and also the photo documentary of Georgia's state bird, the Brown Thrasher!

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Blue Ridge Gal,

I've wished for Mockingbirds around here, and feel honored that this northern sort of one stopped by for a visit yesterday. Wishing you sun after the rain!

********

Hi, Country Girl,

Your Sunday morning sounds pleasant and I hope the whole day is, too!

********

Hi, Leenie,

Its amazing how many different types of maples there are. I'm happy to have heard the thrasher at least once....they tend to go live out in the fencerows away from people.

********

Hi, rhymsie,

Really?! The brown thrasher is your state bird! Very cool!! Have a great day! I'm off to investigate some old cemeteries on this lovely Sunday afternoon.

DesertHen said...

Great shots! Loved the info on the Thrasher. I raised a Mockingbird when I was 10. It was the neatest bird and tried very hard to mimic the sounds of my dads voice. We have also raised a baby raven...that was an adventure. They too are very vocal and will try to talk to you once they learn the pitch and pattern of your speech. We seem to have raised lots of orphan birds over the years.

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Deserthen,

Amazing experiences you've had with raising birds! They must be very intelligent creatures, especially the ones that try to mimic voices. Very cool!