Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Leaf Hoppers

16th016 I must have hopped right off my rocker to stoop to taking pictures of these pesky bugs.  They are called leaf hoppers, I believe. They munch on alfalfa, hopping from leaf to leaf, eating up nutrients which were intended for cows.

16th012 What I’d like you to notice---particularly in the first photo---is that the leaf hoppers have GREEN eyes!  (Click on the photo to enlarge it a bit.)  Haha…..they look like aliens from outer space!

*

I hope you have a pleasant day today.  Certainly, I will try to.  A grocery run might be on the agenda.

*

8 comments:

Kat Mortensen said...

Cool photos! They DO look like aliens.

Kat

Anonymous said...

Great... let's go shopping... I'm in need of maters, bread, paper towels.....

Snappy Di
(Cute little hoppers there!)

Deb said...

they are very alienistic!

joanne said...

quite strange...and rather creepy too..;p

Leenie said...

When I was helping kids collect butterflies for 4-H entomology I learned that there are several different kinds of alfalfa butterflies--all kinda the same--but still different and still awful pests to farmers. Like the low angle on the photos--bet you had to work to get them.

Gail said...

Those are beautiful!

Flea said...

Those are SO cool. Initially I thought they were leaves sticking out of the ground.

shutterhand said...

These are actually clouded sulphur butterflies. They often group up on the ground to get needed minerals into their systems. They do not eat alfalfa. Leafhoppers are a totally different species. Lovely images of these colorful butterflies.