Monday, January 10, 2011

Motherhood

This Norman Rockwell scene hangs on a wall in our home. I bought it many years ago when motherhood first came my way. Sigh. It seemed to sum up what mothering is all about---the care and nurture of sweet, innocent children.
*
Bear with me as I wax sentimental or something like it. (If only waxing the kitchen floor held interest for me....)
*
What effect do years of mothering have on the mother, however? That's what I'm stuck contemplating these days. Hm-m. Motherhood sweeps in like a runaway river and takes over, propelling the mother along upon a rushing rapids of busyness and noisy, happy hubbub. Once the children are grown and caring for themselves, the motherhood river undergoes a drastic personality change, winding down to become a peacefully meandering stream. Sounds nice maybe, but in reality, the dramatic change of pace can be a challenge to deal with, at least for a mother who never had her own career, and perhaps for every mother.
*
So now I find myself caught in that tranquil stream, creek, or "crick" as we call small waterways here in this area. Never did I care much for spending time on or in a "crick". Too many gnats and mosquitoes there, plus the environs can be just plain boring. Peace and quiet just ain't all its cracked up to be.
*
One should be careful what one wishes for, of course, but return unto me, oh, noise and hubbub !

2 comments:

Pat - Arkansas said...

I suffered from "empty nest syndrome" for quite some time after the last of my four children left home. I did have the distractor of working outside my home, so it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Unfortunately, I started mothering people who would just as soon not have been mothered! Took me quite a while to get over it.

Your picture is beautiful.

Covnitkepr1 said...

Hated to see my kids leave...hard to take.

I have added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit my blog and become a follower also.