Saturday, January 29, 2011

New Fad

Tony & laundry

Yesterday morning I was trudging through the barn pushing the manure scraper and happened to pass by the radio just as an earnest-voiced newscaster was announcing a new fad taking hold in our state---the use of cloth diapers.  Imagine that….cloth diapers being considered something NEW.  I always figured Eve herself surely invented them after becoming frustrated with those non-absorbent fig leaf diapers worn by Cain, Abel, Seth, and the “other sons and daughters”(Gen. 5:4).

The photo here, which I once considered using in my blog’s title area, shows authentic cloth diapers blowing in the breeze behind my husband’s overalls and work jeans.  The scene was cropped out of a larger photo which includes my baby daughter sitting on an overturned laundry basket.  I really love this picture for it transports me back to a less complex time in my life and captures a collection of interesting elements---cows in the background, my weedy garden, leaves on the ground, a long-gone farm dog, laundry drying on the line, and an outhouse (please, may I never walk by the radio and hear of THAT becoming a new fad). 

4 comments:

Gail said...

I was a cloth diaper user. My children could not wear the disposables without rashes. I could not afford them either.

Nothing like beautiful, white, soft diapers poppin on the clothes line.

I, for one, am glad they are making a come back.

Katie Olthoff said...

Yep, it's definitely one of the "hip" things to do among young mothers! And google Bum Genius. These aren't the same diapers I was diapered in 26 years ago. These are COOL!

I'm still on the fence for #2 because a) my daycare won't use them and b) my washer and dryer are in the nasty basement of our farmhouse and I have enough trouble getting laundry done anyway.

DesertHen said...

I have a neighbor in her early 30's that has used cloth diapers for all of her 8 children and I'm sure she will use them for number 9 as well which is due in August. My neice is also due in August and she and her husband are going to use cloth diapers as much as possible. I used them a bit when our kids were babies, but not has much as I probably should have.

I love that photo! I use to hang my wash out on the line to dry all the time. Now I have no line to hang anything on and haven't managed to convince the hubby to put up a clothes line in the six years we've been here!

Happy weekend to you!

joanne said...

Oh your photo brings back memories...well, not the outhouse but you know what I mean. Yay for the cloth diapers!