Thursday, February 14, 2008

Be My Blog Valentine

Here's my Valentine to anyone who happens to stop by this blog today!




Ollie wanted in on the fun, too!




Whenever I post a photo, then the font I was using above the photos won't work below the



photos......why is that?



I think its fascinating to read about the ancient origins of holidays, so here's some info about



Valentine's Day traditions.

****************





The house needs some decluttering, and one thing I'm removing is the jigsaw puzzle that


someone started during the Christmas holiday season. Its a PhotoMosaic of Abraham Lincoln's


face......extremely difficult! The whole picture is made up of tiny Civil War photos.......very


interesting to look at, if you can see them!


*********************


Yesterday, my 15-year-old son, who drives with a school permit, received his first traffic


ticket......for not having his seatbelt buckled. I asked him, "How often do you not buckle up?" He




said that was the first time.......hmm......I wonder. Thankfully, because it was a violation of the



"non-moving" variety, it will not put restrictions on the license he can get when he's sixteen.



Iowa has been getting more strict lately with the young drivers......and that is a good thing.

***********************





I just got off the phone with a church friend.......she has seven daughters! Can you imagine that!

They are the sweetest family, though.......several of them have been in my Sunday School classes

over the years. She'd like to do some shopping tomorrow and wondered if she could drop her two

youngest girls off here for awhile. That will be fun! They are four and two, so I'll have to go

upstairs and dig out some boxes of toys and books.

*****************


I love this friend, but she is so totally Lutheran........brought up that way and went to Lutheran

college, etc. Sometimes we clash a bit on certain issues. She and her husband are planning to

send their kids to a tiny Lutheran high school over twenty miles away. I tried to encourage

them to consider the local public school.......they could be a good influence there, but they don't

see it that way. They are alarmed at the idea of their kids being taught evolution. I gave her a

piece of my mind......I don't care.......I said, this insistance of believing that the days of Creation

were 24 hours in length alienates people who have an interest in science. I don't believe anyone

can definitively say that those first few verses of Genesis speak of 24-hour days. And not one

human being was there with a clock to keep track of the time. (But, of course, if Martin Luther believed in 24-days of Creation, then that is "most certainly true".)

*******************



Anyway, I told her all that this morning on the phone.......she just said she had no rebuttal at the

moment. Anyway, we are still friends, of course. People that have been brought up in a strict

German Lutheran mindset never question anything. They are closed-minded on many issues,

and I believe it is detrimental to their witness to the world. Maybe this will open her mind a

crack.




******************

I'm sorry this post looks so terrible.

8 comments:

Country Girl said...

It's because it's Blogger. Their layout options leave much to be desired.

And Happy Valentine's Day to you, too!

I've just heard from a friend that the Ott-Lite I purchased is totally sold out. There are other models but they're more expensive. Maybe just googling Ott-Lite?

Russell said...

Enjoyed your post today! Happy Valentine's Day to you, too!

Our daughter is now in college - but I remember very, very, very (did I say very??!) well when she was first driving. It was so hard for us - her parents!

She is and was a better than we are, but still we were scared to death every time she pulled out of the driveway.

THEN there are those times when she would have to drive home later at night - 10 or 11 o'clock! We almost paced the floors! We would wait for the cell phone call when she would tell us she was leaving and then I would look at the clock to determine when she should be pulling the driveway!

I could go on and on, butyou get the idea!! I will be thinking of you and your family as you go through this most interesting and often stressful time!

Take care and I liked the snow valentine on the tree - very nice!

Sherry said...

Wow Jeannelle, you are productive today. What a lot of chatter! hehe. You can almost never do anything with a fundamentalist. They need to believe what they believe. It's not a choice.

I sure remember making sillouettes of presidents when I was a kid.

How do you do jigsaw puzzles with cats? I assumed it would never work! lol...I do like to do them, but never have a good place that can be left undisturbed.

Have a great Valentine's Day!

Anonymous said...

I love doing jigsaw puzzles, but when I do them, I have to lock the cats out of my office until they are finished.

Well, bummer on your son not wearing his seatbelt. I know kids think they are invincible, but, well, they aren't. I've been known to watch out the window to see if they are buckling up...

All five of ours drive now. And I thought the "look both ways before you cross the street" and "don't ever go anywhere with a stranger" thing was hard. Ha!

Jeannelle said...

Thanks for the comments!

Actually, there's only two cats I allow up here on the main level of the house, and then only at certain times. They didn't bother the puzzle table, but that's not to say they never would.

My son got his ticket on his way home from school. Yeah, I probably should make a point to watch him in the morning when he leaves. It was good he got caught.....a good learning experience.

nannykim said...

Oh--not wearing a seatbelt is serious. My friend at work lost her daughter 3 years ago because of that---her daughter was just going down the road a few miles drive. She went off the edge and the car rolled and she was killed because she didn't have her seatbelt. She was only 16. I have another friend who was in a truck that rolled and thankfully he had his seatbelt on and was fine. Actually I have another friend who also survived a roll due to his seatbelt. Seatbelts are so important. We have had a lot of accidents due to rolls because our roads here hardly ever have the sides paved. Most of the deaths would not occur in these accidents if they had their seatbelts on....

Jeannelle said...

Oh, nannykim, that's very sad about your friend's daughter.

Anonymous said...

Amiable post and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you on your information.