Friday, January 16, 2009

Frosty Mugs & No School

The faces of these heifers and dry cows give new meaning to the term "frosty mug". If you can't see the frost on their "mugs", click the picture to enlarge it. As I've mentioned in another post recently, livestock get along fine in the extreme cold......they seem to take it in stride......except for those frosty mugs, of course. Vouching for that fact is this article from yesterday's Waterloo Courier.
Oh, boy.......wouldn't you know.......yesterday, on the coldest day of the year we were scheduled to haul a steer to the locker. That meant flailing around in the 30-below-zero windchill to load the big galoot. Thankfully, Husband and I had extra help with that.......school had been cancelled for the day, meaning our son was home. Hooray!
*
I took one glove off for about 30 seconds to snap the critter photo above; pain gripped my fingertips after about 15 seconds. How Native Americans, early settlers, Arctic and Antarctic explorers ever survived such weather conditions, I will never know. While shivering and shaking, manning my spot as we tried to coax and direct the steer toward the trailer, I suddenly recalled that the idea for my blog's name was hatched in the exact spot where I was standing.......about 23 months ago. The first blogpost, entitled
"Initial Blog Post", explains how the phrase, "Midlife by Farmlight", came to be.
*
OK.......Husband is ready to head down the road to the locker. He's dressed warmly and has hot cocoa and snacks for sustenance, and his cell phone along in case of trouble. With an old trailer, you just never know what might happen.
That means Son is finishing up the morning's post-milking chores, which included carrying a newborn calf to a pen in the calf building. Because of the extreme cold, we did not turn the cows out of the barn today......usually they go outside for awhile in the morning for exercise and so we can scrape the stalls and alleyways, and spread chopped straw and lime.

In dangerous weather like this, using the "buddy system" is prudent and necessary, for if someone became incapacitated for more than a few minutes, they could easily get frostbite or freeze to death. Thus, I kept a close eye on my son as he worked on the tasks Husband had instructed him to do, including grinding steer feed. In this next scene, Son is shoveling corn from the grain truck into the feed grinder, which---obviously---grinds and mixes the corn and other ingredients together to make the feed. It is quite simply a big, overgrown food processor.


I thought the cobwebs in this next photo were quite cool so I convinced Son to pose with them. He's an obedient kid, but he really doesn't look at all like himself here......could it be that he's COLD? Nah. Maybe its because of the "growler mask" on his face. For some reason, when the kids were little, someone started calling these face masks, "growler masks", and the name stuck. When cold weather comes each year, Husband will holler up from the basement, "Where are the growler masks?".

*
According to the weather forecast, our temperatures are supposed to start rising today, to a high of 10 degrees above zero, which at this point sounds like a heat wave.
*
STAY WARM!
*
*
P.S. - My college daughter and I have been having some serious text message conversations about the laptop issue. She wants me to buy hers so she can buy a lighter-weight one.......only problem being that her checking account is also a lightweight. Hmm.......we'll figure it out soon.......my back and shoulders hope it will be VERY soon.
*

7 comments:

Gail said...

To cold for me! It is 10 degrees here this morning and I cannot even stand the thought of it being that cold. I am a light weight when it comes to cold weather.

Anonymous said...

Great post with great pictures.

13 below in Chicago this morning. Since I'm retired, I could hibernate yesterday, but today must go forth. Wish I had a growler.

This cold reminds me of a book written by a member of the disastrous Scott Expedition to Antarctica, aptly titled "The Worst Journey in the World." At one point he reflected, "The minus 30's and 40's were not cold, as we would come to understand cold."

rhymeswithplague said...

Coldest it's been in ten years here in "the sunny South" -- 12 degrees this morning with a wind chill of minus three.

Stay warm up there....

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

It was 18 below when I took the dog out this morning. I made him wear boots, which freaked him out.

Something is waiting for you at my blog!

Caution/Lisa said...

We were -11 at school time, so a day off here, too. We call the face masks robber masks -- very popular in this house.

Don't think I've mentioned how much I love your blog's new background. I feel like the sun is shining every time I stop by your blog :)

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Gail,

Yes, well, ten degrees is pretty cold, too, but we are supposed to warm up to that point tomorrow. I can't wait!

********

Hi, Sempringham,

Yeah, I saw the NBC reporter standing by the lake in Chicago this morning. Hope you got out and about safely today and then back home again to warmth.

Those explorers certainly had more determination than I ever would. He's right.....when it gets to 30 below zero, its like beyond cold....into another dimension entirely....into a world of daggers coming from every direction. It wouldn't take long to lose the will to live.

*********

Hi, rhymsie,

Well, your temps are no fun, either. Stay warm. I wonder if it will affect fruit trees down south.

**********

Hi, Ruth,

Boots for your dog! Really? I'll bet you were kind and knitted him some.

**********

Hi, Caution,

Hope the flag family enjoyed their togetherness today. We're starting to warm up a bit here now, so hopefully that trend will reach your area soon.

Glad you like the background. It really caught my eye.....its our school colors......and Valentine's Day is coming, you know. I want to be prepared. :)

Judy said...

Too bad farming can't take a wee break in those kind of temperatures! I chatted with my 'bro' from your area the other night...and he said they were having a 'late start' for school the next day. That gives them a few hours to get the roads cleared, etc..not a bad idea!